Engineering Design Showcase - June 3, 2021
The Engineering Design Showcase is the culminating experience for graduating seniors. A senior design experience is required for all students in an engineering major. Teams complete a capstone project in which they design and prototype a product, device, process, or software system. This event brings together project teams from all eight departments for an opportunity to share student designs with the public. Industry partners and alumni are also invited to attend. These guests serve as evaluators, who provide expert feedback to student teams on their exhibits and project demonstrations.
- The 2021 showcase will be hosted online.
- The showcase is open to members of the public, but a password is required. If you would like to participate, please email us and access details will be shared on the morning of Thursday, June 3 prior to the start of the showcase.
Please contact the Engineering Dean's Office by phone (530) 752-1979 or email email@example.com.
Questions regarding serving as an evaluator at the Engineering Design Showcase may be directed to the College of Engineering by phone (530) 400-3213 or via email.
We invite industry partners and UC Davis College of Engineering alumni who would like to see first-hand the work of our students to join us as evaluators. As part of your attendance, you will be asked to provide specific feedback to a small number of teams on their communication skills, design process, demo, prototype and more. We hope to provide students with an opportunity to practice “pitching” their ideas in a setting similar to what they will find during their careers.
As an evaluator, you will be asked to provide specific feedback to a small number of teams. We appreciate the time and effort evaluators will share with our budding engineers. Click here to see a sample 2020 Evaluator Form. Evaluations for the 2021 Engineering Design Showcase will be done via online form.
FAQ for Evaluators
- Is there a live portion of the showcase?
- Yes, this year evaluators can interact live with the teams from 2-4 p.m. via Zoom.
- Will I be assigned teams to evaluate?
- Yes. As in previous years, evaluators will be assigned teams to review. In making assignments, we will do our best to accommodate evaluators’ preferred area(s) of focus.
- Can I check out other teams that I’ve not be assigned to?
- Yes! Evaluators are encouraged to review other teams’ materials once their assigned evaluations are complete.
Engineering students enrolled in a senior design course or who participate on a design project/team are eligible to participate in this event. Specific information about presenting during this event will be distributed through your course instructor or adviser. Additional details about event logistics will be emailed to team members in spring quarter. The Dean’s Office will cover the cost of one poster printing for participating teams.
Only one person from each design team should complete the form. This person will be designated the team lead for purposes of contact regarding poster printing and team assignments.
Sandia Design Award Competition
The showcase is not a competition. There is, however, an embedded competition for the Sandia Engineering Design Award at UC Davis. This is only applicable to projects that fall within the award specifications. Please check the details of the 2021 Sandia Engineering Design Award. You can find resources to help you structure your report.
Resources for Students
Please see this repository for support on writing an abstract and poster design for the 2021 Engineering Design Showcase.