DAVIS, Calif.; March 27, 2017–The UC Davis College of Engineering celebrated outstanding faculty and alumni last month at its annual Distinguished Engineering Alumni Medal awards ceremony at the Mondavi Center.
More than 120 alumni, faculty, staff, and friends gathered on Feb. 23 to recognize notable graduates whose professional and personal achievements have brought special honor to the College. Alumni were awarded for their broad and diverse achievements in business and entrepreneurial endeavors, public service, and research.
Distinguished Engineering Alumni Medal (DEAM) Recipients:
- William L. Ballhaus, Chairman/CEO, Blackboard International, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, ’89
- Ahmed M. Darwish, Professor, Cairo University and Chairman, Suez Canal Economic Zone, Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, ’88
- Layton S. Han, CEO, Adara Media, B.S., Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering, ’88
- Paul C. Johnson, President, Colorado School of Mines, B.S., Chemical Engineering, ’83
- Elizabeth G. Loboa, Dean, College of Engineering, University of Missouri, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, ’95
- Iman Oskoorouchi, COO, TruAdvantage, B.S., Computer Science and Engineering, ’04
During their acceptance speeches, several alumni recalled the lasting impact of campus culture and faculty mentors on their personal and professional lives. Medalist Layton Han even recalled his experience struggling through a difficult undergraduate course, and how that experience challenged him to approach problem-solving more creatively.
The awards dinner also recognized newly endowed chairs and professorship recipients. These positions are awarded to individuals who are leaders in their respective fields. These endowed positions are possible thanks to the generosity of donors who support the College.
Endowed Chair and Professorship Awards:
- Shuguang “Robert” Cui, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Child Family Professorship
- Alyssa Panitch, Department Chair and Professor, Biomedical Engineering, Edward Teller Chair
- Steve Robinson, Department Chair and Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Warren and Leta Giedt Professorship
Attendees also enjoyed a College Open House prior to the awards ceremony. The Open House was an opportunity for guests to connect with faculty and tour new and recently updated College facilities including the Engineering Student Startup Center, Engineering Student Design Center, and Coffee Laboratory.
Photos from the College awards dinner are available online.