What is a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG)?
The Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) Program gives California community college transfer students written guarantees of admission to UC Davis, one year in advance, in their first choice major. A Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) is a formal, written agreement that outlines the courses you must complete and grade point average you must earn before transferring from a California community college. Written a year before you plan to transfer, this agreement lists specific requirements for engineering majors and guarantees your admission to the UC Davis College of Engineering in the engineering major you choose.
A signed agreement guarantees that you will be admitted to UC Davis in the major you want and for the term you have chosen, provided you complete the agreement and apply for admission during the open filing period.
If you would like more information on the TAG program, see your community college counselor or visit Transfer Admission Guarantee. You may also contact the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office (530) 752-1979.
Benefits of the TAG Program
- Written Guarantee of Admission
- One Year in Advance
- First Choice of Engineering Major
- Early Review of Academic Records
- Specific Guidance about Major Preparation and General Education Coursework
Who can apply for the TAG Program?
In general, anyone who is established as a student at the community college where the TAG is to be written and who will meet the academic criteria to transfer as a junior may arrange for a TAG. Please visit the Undergraduate Admissions TAG FAQ for more information on who can or cannot apply.
Why should I apply for the TAG Program?
Transfer Admission Guarantees give transfer students written guarantees of admission to the UC Davis College of Engineering, one year in advance, in their first choice engineering major.
If your TAG is approved, you’re guaranteed admission to UC Davis without competing with the large pool of engineering transfer applicants.
What do I need to do to be eligible?
1. Meet Eligibility Requirements
- TAGs may be written for students who will meet UC eligibility requirements and complete at least 60 semester (90 quarter) transferable units by the end of spring with an overall transfer GPA of at least 3.30. Students must have this GPA at the time the TAG is written and must maintain it throughout the remainder of their transfer work.
- Effective Fall 2021, TAG applicants to all majors in the College of Engineering must have an overall 3.40 GPA and a 3.40 GPA in the selective major courses.
- A student must take courses equivalent to those on ASSIST for the majors below if they are offered at the California community college. Courses not offered at the California community college must be completed after enrolling at UC Davis.
- All lower-division requirements for the specific major must be completed by the end of spring.
- The College of Engineering will honor all engineering articulations as they exist on ASSIST at the time TAGs are signed in September. The courses required for each engineering major are listed for each community college on the “engineering grid” at Transfer Credit Agreements.
- DO NOT submit an Engineering TAG unless you plan to complete all required courses before enrolling at UC Davis.
2. Receive a Letter Grade
For all College of Engineering majors listed below, courses must be taken for a letter grade, with no grade less than “C”:
- Aerospace Science and Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Biological Systems Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
The TAG Criteria.
How do I apply for a TAG?
UC Davis Transfer Admission Guarantees (TAGs) give California community college transfer students written guarantees of admission in their first choice major one year in advance of enrollment. We are proud to partner with all California community colleges to provide an early records review and opportunities for advising about major preparation. Start your future TAG online using the UC TAG Application.